Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The race for the Security Council continues

From the Associated Press—the latest on the race between Venezuela and Guatemala to win the UN Security Council seat. I had someone ask me in a previous post whether the vote was public or not. My answer was that I thought with most votes, it was private unless there was a specific request for it to be public. This article says explicitly that it will be private, but does not explain why.

I took a look at the UN Rules of Procedure. Voting is covered on pages 27-29. Rule 127 states that any representative may request a recorded vote. I haven’t yet found anything to suggest that this particular vote will be different, unless there is an assumption that everyone wants it private.

There is a quote from the Guatemalan Foreign Minister that I found interesting, and so characteristic of U.S. policy:

''In some countries I have to admit the U.S. has come on too strong in its opposition to Venezuela,'' Rosenthal said. ``We would be happier if they would not promote our cause so much because we would like to be our own promoter.''

1 comments:

Anonymous,  10:00 PM  

Thanks for the info! BTW, Chavez officially stated all his traveling is not to get votes for the UN seat (ya right!). It is unfortuant that countires are but in a position to choose Venezuela or Guatemala (US) and I totally agree US forign policy has been non-existent to say the least.

About your previous post, at least Chavez came back to get his red shirts cleaned and pressed because he is off again and guess where?

http://www.unionradio.com.ve/Noticias/Noticia.aspx?NoticiaId=180369

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP