Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Academic writing

Academic Coach suggests that especially during the summer, professors should set a writing schedule, writing at the beginning of each work day. I disagree with this advice. When I am doing a big project, like a book, I do set daily writing goals for myself (the same type of thing Michelle is doing now) but in general one thing I love about this job is that I can avoid rigid schedules. There are many days when looking for sources, reading, and thinking serve more of a purpose than just writing for the sake of it:

The point is to sit down, begin writing, and keep at it even when your rough draft feels jagged and ugly rather than merely bumpy.

I think that would kill me if I did it every day.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP