Sunday, June 11, 2006

Redcoats and Rebels

I just finished reading Redcoats and Rebels: The American Revolution Through British Eyes, which my brother had recommended to me some time ago. I enjoyed the book, even though I am not big into details of battles (number of casualties, who hit what flank, etc.). But what sets the book apart is its focus on how the British were viewing the rebels, which was mostly with distaste, but with growing respect for their military abilities. The British had been sure they’d quickly beat these uneducated rednecks, and thought George Washington was a joke. A central theme is that British General Henry Clinton was ineffectual, timid, and indecisive, and he missed many opportunities to push the British advantage. He also strongly emphasizes the importance of the French intervention in bringing victory for the rebels.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP